FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Christopher Maeder, Chief
Fairview Fire District
258 Violet Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
On Wednesday, the 5th of September at approximately 2:44 pm, Fairview Firefighters were dispatched to Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie for a reported automatic alarm of fire. When Firefighters arrived approximately five minutes later, they found an active fire in the Cooke section of the building. The alarm was upgraded and additional resources from the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department was dispatched. Hospital staff had already begun the steps of activating their emergency response plan.
A small fire was discovered to be in the duct work for the ventilation of the building’s generator. The fire was immediately extinguished by Fairview personnel. The fire was declared to be under control at 3:08 pm. Light smoke was found on two floors that were evacuated by hospital staff.
At no time were hospital staff or patients in any danger.
The building was ventilated by Fairview personnel. All emergency service crews left the scene at 4:21 pm. The building was turned back over to Mid-Hudson Regional Hospital staff.
The fire was determined to be caused by a mechanical issue with a newly installed generator.
The Roosevelt Fire Districted assisted by standing-by at the Fairview fire station.
Please remember that your Fairview Firefighters are always here when you need them.