Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Safety Message For Returning College Students


College is back in session and a number of people are now living away from home for the very first time.  When doing fire prevention programs, firefighters often relate that a tragedy can occur here.  Well in January it did happen here, in Fairview.   Three lives were taken in what was supposed to be the prime of their lives.   Please remember that fire safety is no accident and that being safe is a result of good habits.  
Please remember the following:
  •  Avoid the use of candles.  They are often the cause of fatal fires.
  • If using candles, keep them away from combustibles.
  •  Cook only where allowed.
  •  Keep the cooking are clean and free of unnecessary items.
  • Never leave cooking unattended.
  • If a fire occurs, turn off the burner/microwave and cover if possible.  
  •  If you smoke, please do so outside.  Never discard smoking materials in the trash.
  •  Make sure that there is a working smoke detector (change the battery if necessary) on every level and every bedroom.
  • Never disable a smoke detector.
  • Extension cords should be used for temporary applications.
  • Do not overload outlets.
  • Unplug electrical cords when they are not being used.  
  • Never use an electrical cord that feels hot.
  •  Get out and stay out if there ever is a fire. 
Additional resources on fire safety can be found at the following websites:
                www.campusfiresafety.org
                www.campus-firewatch.com
                http://www.mingerfoundation.org/
                http://www.campusfiredata.org/
                http://www.pbfeducation.org/courses/igot2kno

Please remember that Fairview Firefighters (both career and volunteer) are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fairview Responds to Car Fire w/ Video


Today, Fairview Firefighters were dispatched for a reported vehicle fire at the intersection of Garden and Green Streets.   Firefighters responded with two engines and the district chief and arrived within 3 minutes of dispatch.  Upon arrival, Fairview personnel found a well involved engine compartment of a taxi who had just dropped off passengers at a local medical office.

Oftentimes, a vehicle fire is a routine event when there are no exposures.   Today’s fire was different.   As firefighters were stretching a hose line to the vehicle, a strut, designed to hold the hood up, let loose from the vehicle.    Fortunately, firefighters remembered their training.  They were not standing in front of the vehicle at the time the strut became a projectile.   The strut landed approximately 60 feet away from where the vehicle was located.   


This is just one small example of the unknown dangers firefighters face while doing their work.     Please remember that Fairview Firefighters (both career and volunteer) are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.   
Video taken by Lt. Thomas Ashline, FFD.  Note at 50 seconds the strut lets loose.

The strut in the front yard of a residence with the taxi in the background.
The strut as found in the front yard.