Thursday, December 13, 2012

It's Getting Cold Outside!!

The weather forecast for our area shows that in the next few days December will really be upon us. Here are a few safety tips to help keep you safe this winter.

·        Make sure that your furnace has been inspected and serviced by a qualified professional during the last 12 months. (A furnace should be serviced at least once a year.)
·        Make sure that your chimneys and vents have been cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional. This service needs to be done at least once a year.)
·        Make sure you have checked for creosote build-up. (Not cleaning your chimney is the leading cause of chimney fires from built up creosote.
·        Make sure that your wood for your fireplace or wood stove is dry, seasoned wood.
·        Make sure your fireplace screen is metal or heat-tempered glass, in good condition and secure in its position in front of the fireplace.
·        Ensure that you have a covered metal container ready to use to dispose cooled ashes. (The ash container should be kept at least 10 feet from the home and any nearby buildings.)
·        Make sure that your children know to stay at least 3 feet away from the fireplace, wood/pellet stove, oil stove or other space heaters.
·        Ensure that any portable space heaters have an automatic shut-off.
·        Keep all portable space heaters plugged directly into an outlet (not an extension cord) and place at least three feet from anything that can burn; like bedding, paper, walls, and even people. (Place notes throughout your home to remind you to turn-off portable heaters when you leave a room or go to bed.)
·        Make sure that you have tested our smoke alarms and made sure they are working. (You need a smoke alarm on every level of the home, inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area. For the best protection, the smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, theyall sound.)
·        Finally ensure that you have tested your carbon monoxide alarms and made sure they are working. (Carbon monoxide alarms should be located outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.)

With all this being said, we wish you and your family a happy and healthy holiday season. Remember that we are always here to assist with your safety needs, even during the holidays!

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Tree Safety


This Christmas Season the Fairview Fire District would like to remind everyone the importance of Christmas Tree Safety. NFPA reports that "Between 2005-2009, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 240 home fires that started with Christmas trees per year. These fires caused an average of 13 deaths, 27 injuries, and $16.7 million in direct property damage annually."

We would also like to offer a few helpful hints from the NFPA as you prepare your homes for the holiday festivities.

1) Picking Your Tree
·         You should choose a tree with fresh, green needles that do not fall off when touched

2) Placing The Tree
·         Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2" from the base of the trunk
·         Make sure that the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces,   radiators, candles, heat vents, or lights.
·         Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
·         Add water to the tree stand. Be sure to add water daily.
3) Lighting The Tree
·         Use lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use.
·         Replaces any strings of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Connect no more than three strands of mini screw-in bulbs. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of LED strands to connect.
·         Never use lit candles to decorate the tree.
·         Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
4) After Christmas
·         Get rid of the tree after Christmas or when it is dry.
·         Dried out trees are fire dangers and should not be left in the home or garage, or placed outside against the home.
·         Check with your local community to find a recycling program.
·         Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards and make them last longer.


Finally please take the time to watch the difference in flammability from a watered tree v. an un-watered tree.

Local 2623 Members Make $1,000 Donation to Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation

During the month of October, Local 2623 saw an opportunity and ran with it. With October being breast cancer awareness month, Local 2623 decided they would show their support by designing t-shirts to wear while on duty. They took this one step further and produced shirts that were distributed to the community for a $15 donation.
In a press release released by Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation, Justin Bohlmann is quoted as saying, "We looked around for a local breast cancer charity and found Miles of Hope," explained Bohlmann of the Fairview Fire District. "We wanted our donation to go to people who we knew were affected by this disease right here in the Hudson Valley."
                             
The photo above shows members of Local 2623 presenting Miles of Hope Executive Director, Pari Forood, with a check for $1,000. She relates that the donation will go to further Miles of Hope's mission to fund support services for people affected by breast cancer in the 8 counties of the Hudson Valley.
Further explained in their press release, "People want to make donations to local organizations where they can see the impact," explained Ms. Forood. "There are so many people in the Hudson Valley who we have helped over our 10 year history that our track record speaks for itself."
For more information on The Miles of Hope Breast Cancer Foundation please go to http://milesofhope.org/