The weather forecast for our area shows that in the next few days December will really be upon us. Here are a few safety tips to help keep you safe this winter.
· Make sure that your furnace has been inspected and serviced by a qualified professional during the last 12 months. (A furnace should be serviced at least once a year.)
· Make sure that your chimneys and vents have been cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional. This service needs to be done at least once a year.)
· Make sure you have checked for creosote build-up. (Not cleaning your chimney is the leading cause of chimney fires from built up creosote.
· Make sure that your wood for your fireplace or wood stove is dry, seasoned wood.
· Make sure your fireplace screen is metal or heat-tempered glass, in good condition and secure in its position in front of the fireplace.
· Ensure that you have a covered metal container ready to use to dispose cooled ashes. (The ash container should be kept at least 10 feet from the home and any nearby buildings.)
· Make sure that your children know to stay at least 3 feet away from the fireplace, wood/pellet stove, oil stove or other space heaters.
· Ensure that any portable space heaters have an automatic shut-off.
· Keep all portable space heaters plugged directly into an outlet (not an extension cord) and place at least three feet from anything that can burn; like bedding, paper, walls, and even people. (Place notes throughout your home to remind you to turn-off portable heaters when you leave a room or go to bed.)
· Make sure that you have tested our smoke alarms and made sure they are working. (You need a smoke alarm on every level of the home, inside each bedroom and outside each sleeping area. For the best protection, the smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, theyall sound.)
· Finally ensure that you have tested your carbon monoxide alarms and made sure they are working. (Carbon monoxide alarms should be located outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home.)
With all this being said, we wish you and your family a happy and healthy holiday season. Remember that we are always here to assist with your safety needs, even during the holidays!