FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Christopher Maeder, Chief
Fairview Fire District
258 Violet Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
At approximately 8:37 this morning, the Fairview Fire District was dispatched for a reported house fire at 11 Butternut Way in the Town of Poughkeepsie. Upon arrival firefighters found an occupied home with an active fire in the basement. The home was evacuated upon the discovery of the fire. A second alarm of fire was transmitted bringing additional resources and personnel to the scene. The fire was brought under control within a half hour of arrival and was kept to the area of the fire’s origin.
Six (6) children and two (2) adults were assisted with their immediate housing needs by the Red Cross.
There were no injuries to the occupants or firefighting personnel.
Additional assisting agencies included the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department, Roosevelt Fire District, Arlington Fire District, Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response, Town of Poughkeepsie Police, Town of Hyde Park Police, Central Hudson, Town of Poughkeepsie Water Department, Town of Poughkeepsie Building Department and Mobile Life Support Services.
The fire has been determined to be accidental as a result of improperly maintained and installed clothes drier.