Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fire at Marist College Suppressed by Automatic Sprinkler System


Christopher Maeder, Chief
Fairview Fire District
258 Violet Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601

Fire at Marist College Suppressed by Automatic Sprinkler System

At approximately 7:09 this evening, Fairview Firefighters were dispatched for an automatic alarm of fire at Marist College Townhouse “M”.  While enroute, Fairview personnel were updated that there was an active fire in the unit’s kitchen area.  Firefighters arrived to find a smoke condition in the apartment with a sprinkler head activated.  The fire which started on the kitchen stove was held to the immediate area by the sprinkler system activating.  

“This is an excellent example of how a sprinkler system in a building can save lives and property,” said Chief Christopher Maeder of the Fairview Fire District.  

The fire was determined to be caused by unattended cooking on the stove top.   According to the Center for Campus Fire Safety, cooking is the number 1 cause of fires on college campuses.  

Assisting at the scene were the City of Poughkeepsie Fire Department, New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control, and Dutchess County Department of Emergency Response.   There were no injuries as a result of the fire.  It is anticipated that the building will be able to be reoccupied in the immediate future.    

Please remember that your Fairview Firefighting Professionals (Career and Volunteer) are here ready to respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.