Tonight will represent the third anniversary of an event that will never be celebrated. Instead, it will be spent in reflection of what once was; three young lives snuffed out by the smoke and flames of a residential fire in the Fairview community of the Town of Poughkeepsie.
In the early morning hours of January 21st, 2012 the dispatch came for a fire with people still inside. Thankfully, four made their way out that night. Regrettably, three did not. The loss of three young adults should not be in vain and has left an indelible mark in the members of the Fairview Fire District.
In the days immediately after the fire, members of the Fairview Fire District, Marist College, the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control, and mutual aid companies went door to door providing education and the installation of smoke alarms to the homes in the district. The endeavor of making sure that there are working smoke alarms in every home continues today. In 2014, approximately 100 smoke alarms were installed in homes throughout the fire district.
Since that evening, the United State Fire Administration reports that there have been 6,939 civilian fire fatalities in the United States (). It is our job as firefighters to promote a message of safety and to assist our residents with achieving a fire safe life style.
If you need help checking your smoke alarm, changing your batteries, or installing a new one, please call the fire station. Public education is part of the mission of the Fairview Fire District and we would be more than happy to assist you.
Please remember that Fairview Firefighters, both career and volunteer are here when you need us.